Monday, December 20, 2010

The Beginning

During my early 20’s I quickly realized that I knew nothing about money. Sure we all know how to spend it. Most of us even know how to get a job and make some. But do we really know anything about how it really works?

Growing up in a typical “broken home” the number one topic was not money. My mother worked many jobs; most in the food industry. Through hard work and family support my mother, my younger brother and I made it. We did not have a lot of money for many “wants” in life. I do recall each year sitting around in March waiting for my mother’s tax return check to come in the mail. This we would always use for in part for school close and the rest for something the three of us wanted.

As I graduated high school this work hard attitude carried with me. I quickly got a job and, as it was the bubble we now live in the aftermath of, I bought a home. This quickly led to a marriage and two wonderful children. However, it was not more than two years before my employer who had always had over time, not longer did; this lead to no longer being able to afford my home. After the many ugly phone conversations, messages and letters I am sure most of us have received at one point, I lost my home. Within another year I was divorced and sleeping on the couch of an old friend. This all led me to multiple realizations but the main one was that I did not know anything about the way the system and money works. I had been flying blind and only taking directions from people who ultimately also had their blinders on as well. In this blog I wish to recount my last two years of financial and life education that has made me debt free, as well as the current progress I am going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment